Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Paris

The city of love is not just for lovers. It's definitely for travelers and history enthusiasts and for those who just enjoy beautiful things to look at.
Like my other favorite city - Rome - Paris is in itself an outdoor museum. Where ever you turn you'll find gorgeous architecture, historical statues, interesting places. I've only had the chance to visit Paris once but that is certainly something I will correct as soon as possible.
My memories of Paris are extremely positive. There's just something about it. Of course I had heard all of the stereotypes: nobody speaks English, everyone is rude and especially in Paris. Well, the experience I had, I can only say that none of those claims were true. I found Paris to be a very friendly city. Ok, so we had situations where we couldn't find a mutual language, but kindness goes a long way.
 One time my friend and I were looking for the taxi stop. We were standing in the middle of the street looking at our map and the spot they had marked for us at the hotel. It was easier to get a taxi from a taxi stop than to call one to the hotel, apparently it was a busy day. Anyway, there we stood not knowing at all which way to go when this lovely old lady, with her little bag filled with fresh baguettes, comes to us and says something in French. Probably asking us what we were looking for. All we could say was "taxi". She gestured us to follow her and she took us to the corner of the street where we could already see the stop from. We also got lucky with our taxi. A gentleman jumped off a taxi and gave it to us, he had just a few more blocks to go. Our taxi driver was a charming woman who listened to Chopin. After our visit at the catacombs we met a young man working at the gift shop, who had learned different sayings in different languages. Even in Finnish. Mind you - he had asked people to teach him to say quite rude things too :D He was very sweet to us and we had a few laughs. So no, my experience of Paris is far from rude.
I also learned a valuable lessons for my future photography enthusiasm: always - and I mean ALWAYS - charge your camera batteries in the evenings before you go to bed so that you do not not have to take pictures in the catacombs or the Louvre with your pathetic phone (this was before phone cameras got better). Also carry an extra battery with you. Lesson learned.
Anyway, here are some photos for you to enjoy.

















































































































Jump and touch the sky,

Johanna K

2 comments:

  1. you have such a good eye. loved the ones at cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) It was definitely one of my favorite places to visit in Paris. The catacombs were interesting too but the climb up was a little wicked. The staircase was so narrow. Not nice for someone like me that has a bit of an issue with claustrophobia :D But it was worth it. I'm not good with heights either and we climbed the stairs up the Eiffel tower.. So I guess I like challenging myself. My friend was good at giving pep talks. :D

    ReplyDelete