Monday, October 26, 2015

Art in prison?

Last summer my mom and I went to see an art exhibition in the old prison in Turku (my hometown in Finland, where I spent most of my childhood).  The county prison has been moved to a new location and now it had opened its doors to a collective of young artists. I will admit that I'm not a huge fan of modern art - I usually just don't get what it is that the artist wants to say, but there have been many pleasant surprises and I've found interesting pieces of art. What drew me to this exhibition was purely its location. We also participated on a tour that told the history of Kakola - a legendary prison for the so called hardcore criminals in Finland. That tour was really interesting even though we didn't get to go inside anymore.
So if you are going to Turku, which by the way is a very beautiful city in the summer, you should look up these tours. If a tour is not your cup of tea, have a cup of coffee instead at Café Kakola from a tin cup to get some prison feel. And if your vegan you can find something to enjoy in this Café too.
But here are some photos from the exhibition (mainly of the location itself) and of Kakola's buildings.









































If anyone knows the name of the artists whose work I've photographed, please let me know. I would love to add their names under their work!! I tried to look for them at the website for the exhibition but couldn't find them. 
If you want to read more about the exhibition we saw you can look here.

Jump and touch the sky,

Johanna K




No comments:

Post a Comment